Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Food is Coming!.

Things are starting to grow, bugs are arriving, and the squirrels have found the tomatoes. Oh, how I love the challenges of gardening!


Cantaloupe


Sungolds are starting to set. Now to keep the squirrels away, that is the challenge.


Some heirlooms are starting to show up, but I can't remember the name of this one.


Well the squash vine borer has officially arrived in my garden and taken out two of my squash plants. I at least got 5 crooked-necked squash before they got them. I was planning on not having squash for long, but was given some seeds so I decided to go for it. I plan on replanting the space with peas and okra. I am hoping that I can get a few more fruit off the one surviving plant, but I am not counting on it.



The cucumber beetles had a field day on my potato plants, as you can see below. I had a fit hand picking those little bastards everyday. DE, insecticidal soap, neem, bt, nothing seemed to phase them, just good ol' fashion hand picking. I think the wave is gone, I have only seen a few here and there the last few days, so maybe I managed to get through the onslaught.


The corn is growing. The ones in the back get a lot of shade, therefore are very stunted. Next spring I will make sure the patch is all in full sun so I can get some even growth. I think I will get a few cobs if all goes well.


So corn has been a neat learning experience. I have to admit my ignorance and say I only thought I knew how it grew. The male parts come up from the top like any ol' grass, but the female (cobs) form down in the middle of the plant. My cousins in MO will be embarrassed by me saying this, but I had no idea.

The top shoots up high and then the pollen falls down to the tassels below and pollinates the fruit.


All of my peppers are growing slow. The little are where they are may need some soil work. This jalapeno is starting to bear some fruit even though the plant is only about a foot and a half tall.





No comments:

Post a Comment