Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fall Bounty and some Texas Ecology

A bit of food from the backyard! Salad greens and radishes made a nice winter style salad for a night that dropped into the 30's.


First time to grow radishes, but they seemed to come out OK. Some had already split from being in the ground too long, but still tasty. When they say radishes are a fast growing annual, they mean fast growing.

The front yard garden is still doing well with Swiss chard, two cabbage plants, some mustard greens, and collard greens. More pictures to come when I actually get a chance to harvest and cook a meal with all this. Life has been busy.



I had a Gulf Muhly (Muhlenbergia capillaris) in my native garden that wasn't doing very well, so I decided I needed to have a prescribed burn. I burned the clump down to a nub, which turned out to be a trip since I did not think about the dry cedar mulch that was around it. All in all, I didn't burn down the neighborhood, and the muhly clump started growing back already and its only been about a week and a half. There's some Texas ecology for you. Texas loves to burn!



No comments:

Post a Comment